This bread pudding is not only delicious but it is also eggless and very simple to make. For the 10 minutes of work required, the results are a gourmet and elegant pudding which is great eaten hot or cold on its own or warm with a scoop of ice cream.
2 + 1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons corn starch
10 -12 slices bread (preferably left out for an hour)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a pot, bring 2 1/2 cups of milk to a boil. Add in the sugar and the vanilla extract.
- When it starts bubbling, add in the corn starch that has been whisked in the balance 1/2 cup of milk. Allow to thicken.
- Switch off the flame and whisk in cream cheese ensuring that there are no lumps.
- Remove the crust from the bread and cut into small cubes.
- In a pyrex or casserole dish or in a cupcake or log cake tin, divide 2/3s of the bread and press it down firmly. Pour the custard over that. Repeat with another layer and spread more of the custard.
*Be sure to press the bread firmly and be generous with the custard as this pudding is going to explode and then sink.
- On the custard, sprinkle some brown sugar and top with the almond slices.
- Pour a little of the melted butter over the top.
- Bake at 220°C for between 20-30 mins.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or some whipped cream.