This baked rice is almost like an easier and faster to cook risotto flavoured with Spanish onions and leeks. I have never liked leeks, but trust me, the leeks add so much flavour and you won’t even taste the leeks!!
1 small head cauliflower – cut into small florets
1 small head broccoli – cut into small florets
6 buttons fresh mushrooms – cut into 4 – 6 each
1 cup uncooked rice
1 cup low sodium broth or a buillion cube in warm water
1/2 cup grated medium cheddar
3 leeks – big dice
1 Spanish onion – big dice
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1-2 cups low fat milk
1/2 teaspoon harissa or chilli flakes
salt and pepper
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Cook the rice with the broth in a pot or rice cooker. The rice should not be soft as it will soften further during broiling.
- Heat oil in a pot, and sauté the onions and leeks until softened.
- Add in the cauliflower and broccoli and cook for 4 -5 mins. Add in the mushrooms and continue to cook for another 3 -4 mins.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper. Do not over season as you will be adding other salty ingredients.
- Once cooked al dente, add in the flour and mix for about a minute to ensure it is cooked (you don’t want the powdery taste of uncooked flour in your dish).
- Add in the milk and continue to stir.
- Add in the rice and mix well. Add milk as needed to achieve a thick consistency.
- Switch off the flame. Add in the cheese and mix it through.
- This can be either put in a casserole dish or in individual serving aluminum bowls. Top with panko.
- Broil in a 220°C preheated oven for 10-12 mins or until breadcrumbs turn golden brown.
- Serve warm.