I am going to admit that this is not my recipe but my daughter’s. She does make the world’s best, creamiest mashed potatoes. Since my son and my Dad both love her mash, guess who is making the dish? Hint – Not me!!
Her magic starts with starchy potatoes such as Yukon Gold or Russet. The less starchy ones require more mashing to become creamy and often just end up a dreaded potato paste! Plus because she wants the smoothest possible mash, she removes the potato skin.
But hey! guess what? The potato skins are great for making loaded potato skins!!
So here is her amazing recipe – do make more than you need because believe me, everyone will want more the next day!!!
CREAMY MASH POTATOES
6 Yukon Gold/ Russet Potatoes
1/4 stick Butter – or a little more
3/4 liter low fat milk
white pepper – optional
- Wash potatoes and dry with a paper towel. Microwave the potatoes on High for between 10 – 14 mins depending on your microwave and size of the potatoes.
- Once cool, scoop out the “flesh” from the skin and save the skin for future use or you can simply peel the potatoes and discard the skin.
- Using a ricer or potato masher, mash the potatoes.
- Place a pot on a medium low flame and add the potatoes. Slowly introduce the milk, stirring to ensure you do not over milk them.
- Once you get your desired consistency, switch off the flame and add in the butter. Mix until you get your desired creaminess.
- Season with salt and white pepper if you wish but DO NOT use black pepper.
And that’s it! You now have made mashed potatoes which you and your family will absolutely love! Thank my daughter not me.