It’s Valentine’s Day! It gives us a chance to do something special for our significant other. So this Valentine’s, I decided to make a breakfast in bed for my husband.
I wanted something that was easy to make, tasty, and at least, somewhat healthy all at once. And I definitely wanted some chocolate, strawberries, whipped cream, and some pops of red as recognised symbols of romance.
I also always try to add some eggs to my breakfast or brunch menu. And so today, I am making Eggs Jala. This is my take on Roti Jala, a local delicacy that is usually served with curried meat.
For the batter:
1/2 cup thick coconut milk or 3 Tbsp coconut powder
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Salt & pepper to taste
For the stuffing:
4 slices Deli Meat – I use bacon
1/2 cup mushrooms – sauteed
1/2 tomato – chopped
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese – grated
Handful of baby spinach
For the plating and garnish:
Bed of salad greens – but I use baby spinach
Microgreens – but I use coriander
Avocados – sliced
1. Mix all the ingredients into a smooth egg batter.
2. Pour the prepared batter into a Roti Jala maker or Cheese shaker.
3. Lightly heat some oil on a pan and create a net with the batter.
4. After a minute, sprinkle the cheese on half the crepe.
5. Add the spinach on the half that the cheese was added onto.
6. Cover the pan and allow to cook for another 2 minutes. Check that the crepe is properly cooked before proceeding.
7. Add the remaining ingredients on the same half (from the earlier steps) and fold the crepe over.
8. Plate it on the bed of salad greens.
9. Add the garnishes.