It’s not everyday that I upload a vegan recipe but this stew may be vegan yet everyone loves it. This is my mum’s recipe and believe me when I say I had no idea this is how her version starts. Mine is totally different btw!
I want to mention, that if your family is in anyway like mine, and you too have a few people who must have some meat added to each meal, then this “hack” I am sharing should work for you.
The ingredients are very basic and yet by my son’s standards of culinary expectation, it is an amazing dish!!
4 cups vegan/mushroom stock
5 potatoes – thick chip cut
3 carrots – cut similarly to potatoes
12 Swiss button mushrooms – halved or quartered depending on size
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 onion – cut into eighths
1 tsp Italian seasoning or herbs
- On medium heat, boil the stock in a large pot adding in Italian seasoning.
- Add in the carrots and the onion.
- Then almost done, add in the mushrooms.
- Allow to boil for a few minutes, then adding the green peas.
- Separately, half fry the potato chips and add to the stock.
- Combine the corn flour and water to make a slurry to thicken the stew.
Make an extra portion as it works wonderfully a day or two later as well.
I have actually thickened it further, added some puff pastry and served it as pie a few days later.
Similarly to chips, salt and pepper pieces of chicken and fry separately before adding to the stew. Alternatively, pour the stew as you would a gravy on roasted chicken. I love this option!
Try this recipe and thank my mum!!